Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Deli (Life is Beautiful)

I was at the deli by my house/work today that I rarely go to.  Maybe once, maybe twice.  I happened to be wearing shorts and a tank top, which is rare but it's been so hot these days - it's hard not to.  I was standing in the aisle looking at all the different types of beverages that they had.  I keep looking over and seeing this wonderful Latina lady, who was preparing the deli meats looking at me.  She had a smile on her face so I decided to smile back.  I stood there for a couple of minutes looking at this weird energy drink that I've never heard of that honestly kind of scared me.  I then turned away to walk to the cash register to check out.  On my way past the deli she looked at me and smiled and said "you are the most beautiful, your tattoos - they are more than beautiful".  I had never had a stranger say the most wonderful thing like that to me.  I smiled and told her that she was very wonderful and I thanked her for thinking so.  I could tell she did not speak much English and I appreciated her even saying anything to me at all.  I will always remember her and probably go back at some point and hope to see her there, smiling.  She seemed like such a happy woman.  It made my day.  I've had a lot of people compliment my tattoos and I have enjoyed each persons thoughts on them very much and appreciate that they see them as I do - but this one was different.  Her sincerity was outstanding.  Most of the time I just get the backhanded compliments...

"I don't like tattoos but yours are really beautiful".

People comment on my tattoos all of the time, which is not the reason I have them - but happens to be one of the few downsides sometimes.  I get all sorts of weird comments at the grocery store, awful leers from some elderly people or those that do not understand why I have chosen to put such things on my body forever.  It doesn't bother me, I understand people's opinions of things and why they have them but I hate feeling their negativity.  Which is why ever since I've started to get tattoos, I've always tried to show people that it doesn't matter what is on my skin, I am still exactly the same as I would be without it.  Except, I wouldn't be anything like myself without them - I cannot imagine live without each and every one. 

My point is, the most beautiful people sometimes are the ones that normally, you would completely pass by without knowing.  Smile at everyone.  Be kind and thankful for each day you exist and for people appreciating you for everything that you are.  Inside or out.  Or both.  For someone who hates people so much, I love them with all my heart.  Contradiction #1409124 of my personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment